Friday, February 18, 2011

Getting Settled and Important Lessons...


So these last three weeks have been about settling in to my place in Little Italy! I live in this duplex with one of my best childhood friends Annick, who's been here 4 years, studying film. I love this place...


I spent a good few days getting my room set up...some stuff I brought from home, the rest is prettymuch from Ikea. Cute, eh? My fave is the balcony off my room...




I also had to make myself at home in the rest of the appartment (Annick's had to deal with a few adjustments there, including a complete kitchen re-org and a little Fung-Shue'ing of the living room-haha sorry Annick!..you had to know what you were getting into).



It's taken time to get to know the best places to buy different foods, where to buy ziplock bags and q-tips, which metro stop to get off at for a Starbucks or a Scotiabank, getting to know the homeless guy who lives at my metro stop who says everyday- "que dieu te bénisse, mademoiselle!" I think his name is Gérald.

Important lessons I've learned in the last three weeks...
-Escalator etiquette in the metro- no standing still in the left lane of the escalator -WATCH OUT!!
-Watching what I buy based on size and weight since I have to carry it all the way back home
-When in the metro, it is wise to zip your purse zippers towards the front and not the back
-Do not, I repeat, do NOT use the english pronunciation of fine cheeses with the old man at 'Qui Lait Cru' cheese shop at the marché: "Gorgunzolla? Non! NON. J'en ai PAS du GORGUNZOLLA! J'ai du Geurgounnezolah!!"
-Flirting with the old-man vendors at le marché will get you cheaper tomatoes
-A lot of Québecois hate anglophones "tsé la..anglo-shit, what-èvur là..." haha




Things that are amazing about Montréal...
-Bring-your-own-wine restaurants: these alone, are worth the trip out here
-Being able to get anywhere and everywhere with the metro
-Marché Jean-Talon: a 5 minute walk from our place to Montreal's biggest and best farmers market produce, bakeries (the best croissants you've ever had), butchers, cheese shops, florists...ect..
-Walking, walking and more walking = dropping 11 pounds in 18 days
-H&M, BCBG, Zara, fcuk, Chanel..ect, ect...
-The Bay here is a royal palace! Looks exactly like the department stores in Christmas movies
-Little Italy, my neighborhood, full of amazing little grocery stores, church bells and Italian yelling
-Fun to be speaking french everywhere you go



Bring your own wine! It felt so illegal the first time I did it...cuts your restaurant bill in half. Incredible.


   Marché Jean-Talon


The Bay from the outside and a beautiful jacket I would buy if I didnt love animals
...and if I had an extra 7000$ lying around.

H&M-For those who dont know, H&M is a store that collaborates with high-end designers like Karl Lagerfeld, Lanvin, Stella McCartney, Rykiel, Jimmy Choo Shoes.. ect, ect.. and makes super cheap versions of thousand dollar clothes. Here's a dress I'd like a bridesmaid in. Looks like maybe a Marchesa or Lagerfeld collaboration...only 39.99!! The shoes I think are Jimmy Choo impressions for 30 bucks.


Things I miss about Winnipeg (other than family and friends)...
-Nice people
If you've wiped out on the sidewalk, or are a smallish woman trying to lift something heavy like the 200 pound Malm dresser you've purchased from IKEA, people walk RIGHT by you-how rude!


-People who mind their own business
Ok so if you're in need of help, they dont do much. However! If you jay-walk or you're carrying something awkward, whatever,  people will make a point to comment:
"aie!! tsk tsk tsk!! tu va t'faire écrire un ticket si tu fA pas attention!!!"
"Ouain, c'est toute une load que tu portes la!! Tu t'es pas ammené un meilleur sac?!"
 ...Orc, mêle toi pis va t'en!

Understanding words when people talk-
Janelle: Oui, euh, ça, c'est une sandwich au quoi?
Lady behind counter: stunesandwhichaugorognzotomateojanbonné
Janelle: Pardon?
Lady behind counter: stunesandwhichaugorognzotomateojanbonné
Janelle: En?
Lady behind counter: une SANDWICHaugorognzotomateojanbonné!!!
Janelle: K, nevermind lady, j'ai pu faim.

So basically I guess I'm still working out the kinks with the people here.. but it will come.


                                                           

Sherbrooke: Morning breakfast, discovering the word Croissantwich is real! And David hungover, sucking on a gatorade, looking like une grosse nenounne hahaha ..Here's a few more photos from my first three weeks...(yes, the Marion's unnamed cat is still alive). That's Annick making brownies at 1am on a Tuesday and then Annick's delicious roast served with my arugula and goat cheese salad. I'm really trying to learn how to cook, so..i'll keep you posted on THAT.






Tonight I have a ticket for ONE to Giselle by the National Ballet of Cuba! haha how sad. But it should be fun..

"ah cultcha!" ('culture' with a british accent) 
-Patsy Gibb


Miss you Winnipeg xx

3 comments:

  1. Here's a living-on-your-own tip:

    If you hate doing dishes, buy Saran Wrap and put it on your plate then put your food on - When you're done eating you only have to throw out the Saran Wrap and voila! No dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog and all the pictures you are posting. Very fun and interesting. Is that the picture of memere and her friends at age 16 on your wall?

    ReplyDelete