Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Hello Montréal!

On February 1st, 2011, after 24 years (my whole life) in Winnipeg, I moved to Montreal.

I wanted to move to Montreal, so I quit my job as a weather girl, packed my bags and moved... to Montreal. Without my boyfriend, all by myself, without promise of a job. I just did it because I could. And to prove to myself that I could. I can’t believe I actually did it.



Bye Winnipeg!! (gazillion tears)

I did it for the day I’m 35 and wiping up spilled juice with a crying baby on my hip while on an important phone call with an employee of the successful creative company I’ll be running. On that day (and it will come, right down to the spilled juice) I do NOT want to be able to say: Remember that time when I could have just dropped everything and moved to Montreal?




I did it so that one day I can tell my daughter that I did something brave before “landing” and stablizing my life completely. My mom traveled a lot. She lived in little appartments by herself, spent months in Africa building huts (or something like that) and I always looked up to that.

I did it for Winnipeg. I do plan to come back someday when I want to start a family. I love that city despite all its warts but before I can accept, appreciate and love it completely as my landing pad I have a need to live and experience other places. I feel guilty about abandoning the industry there a little, but I'll make it up to it.

I did it for my relationship with Casey. I am so grateful for his support in what, really, is a pretty selfish endeavor for someone in a committed relationship to take on. What happened was I met him- the man I’m going to spend the rest of my life with, a little sooner than I thought. I thank him for so whole-heartedly encouraging me to take the time to take care of this unfinished business: Time to live and grow independently, educate my soul (cue the eye-rolling), find, align and complete myself outside the nice little frame I’m framed in, back in Winnipeg.

Or maybe I did it because I watch too much Oprah and too many Julia Roberts movies.

On a less annoying level, though, I also did it for my career. I work in the media industry, so staying in Winnipeg (for now), somewhat limits what are very big possibilities for people in this line of work. I have very big dreams and have set scarily high goals for myself. So this, I guess would be scary step one.

In the summertime, I will be reuniting with Casey out in Vancouver and continue the big-city journey from there.

Anyways, all of that is not really what this blog is about. It’s more about the prairie child in the city part. An easily excited, small-town outlook on everyday big-city life things from the point of view of a little Winnipeggette. First in Montreal, then Vancouver.

(Plus a whole bunch of in-between topics from Full House to designer shoes)


Here's my home in Montreal. That's my bedroom up there with the balcony.



And so the journey begins...

5 comments:

  1. I love this so much. be brave. be fierce and don't forget to look up at the sky sometimes, it always helps me stay grounded for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to do awesome things out there, and here, and everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feelings you write about. Good to hear what's happening over there in Montreal! I'm having the same feeling of limitations and am considering taking my skills on the road somewhere new. I'd love to move to Quebec for a year to develop my Francais, but worry it would be tough to find work there. Anyway, good luck and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so excited to live this Montreal experience through you're blog :)

    ReplyDelete